Finally Together

Finally Together

Help Us Bring Vitali Home

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

What’s going on?

After spending 12 days with our little man, we found out that the court date was going to be later than we thought.  Then we had to make a decision as to whether or not to stay in Ukraine visiting the orphanage once a day or return to Italy to finish up paperwork and allow Brandon some more time back at work.  We made the decision based on cost of staying versus leaving and decided it would be better to return to Italy until the court date.  We think the court date is going to be December 24th but will get a confirmation on that hopefully today.  We let Vitaliy know that we had to return to Italy to finish paperwork and according to another family that is there, he is quite content.  We’ve had reports that he is happy and fine and knows that we will be returning soon.  It was a hard decision to make, it felt like a choice between spending time with which of our children.  We still have a long road ahead of us in this process and don’t want Brandon to be forced to take too much time off from work.  After court we will return to Italy once again since all of the offices responsible for finalization of the adoption will be out of work due to the holidays.  Nothing will re-open until January 7th.  We are anticipating a longer stay on that trip than most families that are adopting.  Vitaliy will have his new Ukrainian passport with his new name on it.  Unfortunately, Ukrainian passport holders may not enter Italy without a Visa.  We will have to obtain a Visa from the Italian Embassy in Kiev in order to bring Vitaliy back to Italy with us. We are expecting this to take a while.  We could take Vitaliy straight to the USA but then we would have to obtain an American Passport for him.  This passport would only be valid for 90 days.  If an American  stays longer than 90 days in Italy, one MUST have an Italian Visa.  Visas for that type of a stay can ONLY be placed in an official “no fee” American passport, not just the regular tourist passport.  I know this is all very confusing, but this is our attempt to explain the complexity of the situation. 
We still know and rest in the knowledge that God is a Sovereign and a good God and worthy of our trust and obedience.
We ask for your continued prayers to settle Vitaliy’s heart, give us wisdom to make wise decisions, and for the paperwork to roll along smoothly for the rest of this process.  Many Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment